The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack. He lets me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He renews my life; He leads me along the right paths for His name’s sake. Even when I go through the darkest valley, I fear no danger, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Only goodness and faithful love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord as long as I live.
Psalm 23 is by far the best known of all the psalms; numerous people recite it from memory; in many houses, devout Catholics maintain their open Bibles in this psalm. Have we made ponder the meaning of Psalm 23?
Psalm 23 is packed full of beautiful promises from God.
- God is our shepherd. A shepherd is a guide, a protector, someone who cares for you, someone who will stand up for us and who faces danger just to defend ourselves. Jesus tells us: I am the good shepherd.The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. (John 10:11)
- God promises that we lack nothing. God will always be our supplier to cover all our needs are material, emotional or spiritual. He knows what we need and is committed to provide us all. The apostle Paul tells us: And my Godwill supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19)
- God makes us lie down in green pastures. God does not want us to be anxious but rest in Him, as Jesus tells us: Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28)
- God shepherd us beside still waters. The promise of God does not miss any details. Jesus tells us: But whoever drinks from the water that I will give him will never get thirsty again—ever!In fact, the water I will give him will become a well of water springing up within him for eternal life. (John 4:14)
- God will comfort your soul. In the plan of God our emotions are included. God will give us peace of mind; we were comforted in distress and encourage us when things seem to be going well. The apostle John says: Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers. (3 John 1:2)
- God will lead us in paths of righteousness. Never doubt the direction God indicate. He will always lead us down the right path and not one of doom. No matter if it does not seem logical to the place where God sends us, will always be the true path. The Lord says: When the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth. For He will not speak on His own, but He will speak whatever He hears. He will also declare to you what is to come. (John 16:13)